Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I Think I Can....

Day 1

I am going to attempt what seems to be the impossible – finishing a knitted project. My sweet MIL (mother-in-law) taught me to knit this year, and I am forever in her debt for introducing me to this headache that I have had ever since.

I taught myself to crochet about five years ago and I have enjoyed this pastime. Yet, in so many ways, I wish I had learned to knit before I learned to crochet. There are so many things that are just done so much easier with crocheting. For instance, if you make a mistake crocheting just pull out the stitches until you are to where you made your mistake. In knitting this is a grueling process of pulling your stitches and sticking them back on your needles and hoping you didn’t drop any stitches.

Now that I have gotten my complaining out of the way let’s move on to what I love about knitting: knitting has a nice, calming rhythm and I love the feel of knitted items. I want to get good at both knitting and crocheting for there are many fun projects that incorporate both.

So this is my first real attempt to finish a knitting project. No more playing around with the needles pretending I am busy (Quiet! I am counting!) It is time to get down to work and make something with this new skill! I will be posting a picture of my work each day. I hope this will keep me motivated to finish.

Besides it would be nice to have a new scarf this winter!

Note: Scarf pattern is Meandering Rib Scarf.

"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the
dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

No comments: